The 8.5 km long Kirkenes–Bjørnevatn railway was built by the mining company Sydvaranger and began its operation in 1910.
About 20 daily iron ore trains use the private single track railway to transport the from the mine in Bjørnevatn to the port at Kirkenes.
Until 2010 it has been the world's northern-most railway, now exceeded by the Obskaya–Bovanenkovo Line in Russia.
1912 the line got electrificated first using to third-rail conductors, later with overhead wires. The electric traction was taken out of use in 1955.
After the war the line had passenger transport for several years, connecting Kirkenes Station and Bjørnevatn Station, which were located 7.5 kilometers from each other.
Last the mining company operated a Vossloh G1000 BB and a MaK G 1203 as back-up.
Detailed information at Wikipedia
More images at 9910 Bjørnevatn
In November 2015 the mining company became insolvent and all train operation is discontinued!